Jason L. Ma and his team are passionate about unleashing the full potential of next-generation leaders, including millennials (Gen Y) and teenagers (Gen Z). Ma is dedicated to inspiring and helping his Students and Private Clients, who are parents, CEOs and executives, corporations, major non-profits, organizations in colleges and universities, and school districts, succeed. He also enlightens the mass audiences of his book Young Leaders 3.0 and Forbes.com column.
CHIEF MENTOR FOR MILLENNIALS & TEENAGERS & CONFIDANT FOR PARENTS
Recognized by Forbes as a standout mentor and contributor on education, elite college/university admissions, leadership, and entrepreneurship and by LinkedIn as one of the top career experts in the United States, Jason L. Ma leads ThreeEQ®, which he founded in late 2011, to privately mentor the millennial (Gen Y) and teenage (Gen Z) sons and daughters of select high-net-worth client parents worldwide for success. He focuses on personal life and career success development and steers students through the upper-tier US college and university planning, applications, and admissions process.
Watch Business Rockstars’ live interview with Ma about his mission and journey as a mentor, life coach, and author in inspiring and guiding Millennials and teenagers for success.
Possessing an uncanny ability to motivate and inspire, Ma brings to ThreeEQ an outstanding track record since he began providing top-tier college/university counseling and life coaching at his previous company in 2008. Through the years, he has successfully transformed the lives of hundreds of students and guided them in their admission to elite U.S. colleges and universities and towards great careers. Mr. Ma’s students have been admitted to Stanford University, all eight Ivy League universities (Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, and Yale), Babson, Bowdoin, Caltech, Carnegie Mellon, UChicago, Duke, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Northwestern, NYU, Pomona, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Wellesley, Williams, and many more.
In addition, Ma coaches client parents to take parenting for success to the next level. He views parents as partners with whom he works to help bring out the potential in their children and produce tremendous long-term benefits, both psychological and tangible, for their families. Ma also brings a wealth of connections worldwide with student leaders, elite university professors and admission deans, and other education leaders, as well as with successful industry CEOs and senior executives whose organizations provide job and internship opportunities.
AUTHOR of YOUNG LEADERS 3.0 & CONTRIBUTOR to FORBES
Young Leaders 3.0: Stories, Insights, and Tips for Next-Generation Achievers by Jason L. Ma tells the transformative stories of a diverse group of twenty-three 17-to-24-year-old exemplary young leaders. These achievers’ reflections, strategies, and personal visions—combined with author Jason Ma’s insight, success patterns seen, and actionable advice—not only help young people get ahead and prepare for the future, but also help parents, educators, and CEOs and executives understand how to relate to and support the next generation.
These young leaders speak to their peers, offering practical insights and tips on family values, relationships, high school activities, college admissions, the transition into college, college life, internships, job hunting, and career planning. Going beyond GPAs and standardized test scores, the book gives readers an inside look into their personal successes, failures, and lessons learned along the way.
Ma wraps up Young Leaders 3.0 with an epilogue that offers his actionable advice and summarizes the overarching themes, success patterns, and lessons learned. This book showcases the progression of soft skills and transformations of the modern multifaceted individual: emotional and social intelligence, critical thinking, and leadership development. Enjoy the praise from industry luminaries and education leaders.
In addition, as a distinguished Forbes contributor, Ma covers education, college/university admissions, leadership, entrepreneurship, and employment. His Forbes.com column is approaching one million views. See Ma’s contributor profile on Forbes titled “Mentoring Young Leaders.”
INTERNATIONAL SPEAKER & SEMINAR LEADER
Passionate about unleashing the full potential of next-generation leaders, Jason L. Ma has inspired, provoked thoughts in, and enlightened audiences as a featured speaker invited often to influential private and large public events in the global theater. As an internationally fluid, visionary, and passionate keynote speaker, fireside chat speaker, guest lecturer, panelist, conference chair, panel moderator, workshop leader, and interviewee on TV, radio, and other media, Ma has inspired, enlightened, and connected with his audiences, who are
- CEOs and executives
- Professionals and entrepreneurs
- College and university students
- High school and younger students
- Parents and educators (Superintendents, school principals, and teachers)
Ma has served as
- Speaker, summits and forums for CEOs, senior executives, and high-level government officials
- Speaker, World Chinese Economic Summit (WCES), a leading forum promoting closer linkages between China, Southeast Asia, the West, and the global Chinese Diaspora (2014 to present)
- Speaker, Global China Business Meeting, an annual gathering of 300 senior decision makers in China-related business and government from around the globe (2006 to 2014)
- Speaker, Global India Business Meeting, an annual gathering of 300 senior decision makers in India-related business and government from around the globe (2012 to 2014)
- Speaker, lecturer, and contest judge and coach at universities
- Speaker, special events for college and university students
- Speaker, special events for high school and younger students, parents, and educators
- Speaker, special events for young professionals and entrepreneurs
- Speaker, conferences on education, leadership, entrepreneurship, careers, and technology business
GLOBAL BUSINESS RAINMAKER, STRATEGIC ADVISOR, & EXECUTIVE COACH
As a well-connected and seasoned business rainmaker and executive coach with over 30 years of technology business and education industry experience and over two million miles of business travels worldwide, Jason L. Ma astutely applies his high-powered global network of CEOs and other high-level contacts, advantaged insights, strategic thinking, and execution know-how to benefit Private Clients that are multinational corporations, major non-profits, colleges and universities, school districts, family offices, and individual CEOs/senior executives. His network includes dozens of billionaires and hundreds of global and regional CEOs.
Ma helps client businesses expand globally (including scoring major customers and partnerships), grow smartly, and enhance their “corporate EQ.” When needed, he also privately coaches client CEOs and executives to enhance their own personal and professional success. Ma has participated as a
- Member, Employment Taskforce, B20, which leads engagement with government leaders of the G20 (the world’s 20 largest economies, including USA, China, India, Japan, Indonesia, S. Korea, Germany, UK, and EU) on behalf of the international business community (2014 to present)
- Delegate, Forbes Global CEO Conference, a prestigious annual event attended by 400 global CEOs, tycoons, entrepreneurs, up-and-comers, and thought leaders (eight years since 2005)
- Delegate, APEC CEO Summit 2014, the premier platform for the APEC Economic Leaders, including the Presidents of the United States, China, Indonesia, other countries, and senior business executives (2014)
- Mentor, Kairos Society, a leading business supporting top entrepreneurs under 25 worldwide (2014 to present)
- Top Expert and Angel Investor, Audvisor, a leading provider of short and powerful insights from the world’s top experts (2015 to present)
- Member, Pacific Basin Economic Council (PBEC), a facilitator of APEC business (2014 to 2015)
- Business Partner, China Silicon Valley (2014 to 2015)
MASS MEDIA CONTRIBUTOR
Jason L. Ma inspires and enlightens his mass media audiences as a
- Distinguished Forbes contributor, who covers education, college/university admissions, leadership, entrepreneurship, and employment (View Ma’s Forbes contributor profile titled “Mentoring Young Leaders”) (2011 to present)
- Global thought leader and spokesman in both education and business, America’s chief mentor for millennials and teens, and the author of Young Leaders 3.0, who has appeared or been covered on a variety of leading media outlets, including CNBC Asia (including its top-rated shows, Managing Asia and Squawk Box), Forbes, Business Rockstars, iHeartRadio, Fast Company, Bloomberg, Reuters, Business Journals nationwide, Core of Education, and other leading media. LinkedIn recognizes Jason as one of the top career experts in the United States.
COMMUNITY LEADER, BOTH LOCAL & INTERNATIONAL
In addition to his involvement as a member of the B20 for the G20 and a Kairos Society mentor, Jason L. Ma’s current and past volunteer roles also include
- Member, AAPI Leaders Forum (2016 to present)
- Sustaining Member, Western Association for College Admission Counseling (2015 to present)
- Owner and Chief Advisor, ThreeEQ Foundation, a small philanthropy fund through Silicon Valley Community Foundation (2013 to present)
- Mentor, Thiel Fellowship, which supports young entrepreneurial visionaries (2013 to 2015)
- Sponsor, HYSTA, the leading technology business association for Chinese in SV (2013 to 2014)
- Senior Advisor, Silicon Valley-China Wireless Technology Association (SVCWireless, 2001 to 2011)
- Founding Chair, Charter Members Committee, Asia-Silicon Valley Connection (2001)
PAST PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES
Jason L. Ma’s past industry experiences through the decades include
- Co-Founder, CEO & Senior College Counselor, IvyMax, Inc. (the US and China)
- Co-Founder & CEO, an education SaaS startup (drove a successful international merger)
- Co-Founder and Interim EVP and Chief Strategy Officer, YeePay, Inc. (China)
- Founder & CEO, Congruent Partners LLC
- Board member, advisor, or angel investor for technology startups in the US, China, and India
- Leader on Technology, Media, and Telecom (TMT) and Education sectors, Gerson Lehrman Group
- Managing Director of Asia Pacific, iPass Inc. (Nasdaq: IPAS)
- Managing Director of Asia Pacific, Celcore Inc. (acquired)
- Managing Director of Asia Pacific, Peninsula Wireless Communications (subsequently went public)
- Regional Director, Pacific Rim, Cylink Corporation (subsequently went public)
- Area Sales Manager, Asia Pacific, Digital Microwave Corporation (Nasdaq: DMIC)
- Network Assurance Manager, Private Networks Division, Fujitsu America
- Network Systems/Operations Analyst, Network Analysis & Design/Management Sciences, Tymnet
EDUCATION and LANGUAGES
A Chinese American who emigrated from Hong Kong, Jason L. Ma earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research from UC Berkeley College of Engineering (1984). He is a Golden Bear Life Member, a donor, and a guest speaker at Cal. He also attended Santa Clara University Leavey Graduate School of Business. He speaks both English and Cantonese Chinese fluently and is conversant in Mandarin Chinese.
FAMILY MAN and FRIEND
Jason L. Ma’s commitment to contributing to his students, clients, and his book and Forbes audiences is surpassed only by his love for family as a father of two vivacious teenage daughters and husband to his kind and lovely wife. He cherishes his parents, retired blue-collar workers. In his leisure, Ma enjoys celebrating with family and friends, reading, listening to audio(book)s, diving into great food, tasting fine wine, staying fit, watching good films and musicals, vacationing with family in exotic places, and blasting hip hop with his teenage kids while driving (in his black Audi “batmobile”) during family breaks! And you’ll learn what “MAfia” means in Chapter 1 of Young Leaders 3.0!